Friday, May 15, 2009

Sistah Shines, Signs and Sings



I'm gonna watch you shine
I'm gonna watch you grow
I'm gonna paint a sign
So you'll always know
As long as 1 and 1 make 2
There could never be a sister
loves a sister more than I love you


Most of these words are by Paul Simon as found on the Wild Thornberries movie soundtrack. But as the song is actually about the love a father has for his daughter, Cate took a few liberties with the lyrics. The original is simple and sweet, a father singing to his daughter, first assuring her that she can count on dad, then moving on to assure her that more importantly, she can count on herself.

During our school day morning bustle today, I brusquely pushed open their bedroom door hearing music inside. Addie sat on Cate's bed, upturned face, watching riveted in rapt and motionless awe, fresh-from-sleep half smile on her lips, full smile in her eyes. In her jammies, Cate stood on the other end of her bed, singing along to this song, ratcheting up the volume during her lyric changes, ensuring her partner, her love, her only sister, understood the message meant for her.

As much as I wanted to step forward - insinuate myself into this sweet scene, stretch it out, engineer it, even break off a chunk for myself (which I realize I am doing by putting it here) - I silently stepped back and closed the door, leaving the sisters to themselves.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I have two remarkable daughters thanks in no small part to their wonderful mom. Well done Pal!

Kelly said...

That is so sweet! Kelly F

Jacqui said...

That is just so beautiful. Both your daughters are truely inspirational.

Anxious AF said...

I love that picture. Cate is going to really make a difference some day, whatever she does. I know it.