Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Overheard: 2nd Installment

Passing by the playground as Addie and I started our walk/roll home today, we became active witnesses to the following:

Smiling excited blond first grader runs to the chain link fence and presses her grin into it, shouting "Addieeeeeeeee!" Her hand lifts in a manic wave that does not cease as she awaits Addie's response.

A less excited first grader who followed to the fence looks up and asks her waving blond playmate, "Why would you even like her?"

Happy girl keeps smiling and waving at Addie "Because she's a friend."

After Addie responds with a wave, the smiling girl ceases her smile, stops waving and guilelessly turns to her questioner, "Why would I even like you?"

4 comments:

Cindy said...

That is one mature first grader! Great comeback.

Jessica said...

WOW, very mature first grader. I would cry girls! I would run home and just cry...

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

I LOVE THAT!!!!

Terri H-E said...

No, Jessica, you wouldn't cry, I don't think. The smaller kid meant is as a true question. She has less experience with Addie and so she wondered why her friend might like someone who does not talk and who doesn't draw cute flowers on her folders. She did emphasis "like" but I think it was an honest question on her part. I was ready to go into my carefully worded spiel about the things Addie has in common with other first graders, the things that are cool about her, etc. But I didn't need to. That was what I loved. The other 1st grader took my work from me and put it into 1st grade terms. The other girl was silent and thinking afterwards. I hope they had a further private conversation about it, but I love the way taller blondie didn't even hesitate for one second to clarify the meaning of friendship, the value of all friends, regardless of differences. Just another one of those things that makes me hopeful that in a few generations, there'll be a mom with a child with differences that has less to do to clear a path for her child, that community members will share accountability for honoring all people.